Hope you all had a great weekend and enjoyed the Super Bowl! I’ll admit that I usually watch for the commercials and the good food our family prepares for the game, but it’s still a fun time. Plus it’ll always be memorable for us since the Dorito’s commercial from last year’s Super Bowl accidentally announced our pregnancy! My parents were the only ones who knew at the time, and when the commercial came on where a baby was trying to eat Doritos in the ultrasound, my dad made a comment that accidentally let the cat out of the bag! It was too funny and I loved that moment. We were looking for a way to tell the rest of our family and got our wish in the funniest way possible!
Anyways, speaking of food, I’ve been thinking about healthy snacks ever since I started breastfeeding. I knew I’d be eating a lot during pregnancy, but I wasn’t prepared for the crazy level of hunger that you get when breastfeeding! I guess it makes sense that you need a lot of energy to feed another human being, but still I feel like I need to eat about three times the amount I was before. Therefore I figured it’d be helpful to start coming up with a list of healthy snacks to help me get through those hunger attacks, which will hopefully help some other moms out there too! Plus this list would be great for anyone – someone who’s working a lot and needs easy snacks on-the-go, or even the sports fan who needs something healthy after last night (no judging!!). 🙂
So the main thing I’ve been adding to my diet through the day is more protein because it helps fill you up and creates that additional energy you need to get through the day. Protein comes in all different forms: from spinach to nuts to eggs to meat. It’s easy to add to pretty much anything and you don’t have to be a meat eater to get your fill. You also don’t have to spend a lot of energy preparing it. You can easily add greek yogurt to a smoothie, or peanut butter to apples, quinoa to a salad, etc. It’s a little boost that doesn’t always require breaking out the grill.
Anyways, on with the list! I put below some super easy food I’ve found to be helpful when snacking. I like a little variety so not every day is the same, but for the most part these little munchies fill me up quickly and easily!
- Nut butters with fruit. Having plenty of fruit around is great for breastfeeding, but adding on peanut butter, almond butter, sunflower seed butter, etc. makes it that much more fulfilling. Plus it requires no cooking at all. I can grab it and go. I can even eat this while holding my baby, which is always a plus!
- Smoothies. I’ve been a big fan of green smoothies for a while and have one every morning, but adding vegan protein powder to it, or even some greek yogurt has helped me last a little bit longer until my next snack attack. Plus this is a great way to get a health boost, yet it can still taste like you’re getting a little treat!
- Cheese! Um, who doesn’t love a little cheese?! My favorite lunch these days is a little turkey sandwich with melted cheese on top. Yum! Cheese is another protein and pretty much tastes great on anything.
- Hummus or guacamole with veggies or chips. Easy to dip and go as you past the fridge!
- Oatmeal with a variety of toppings. I like to make this in the morning with a little almond milk, granola and fruit on top.
- Popcorn. There’s a lot of healthy options for popcorn now a days, plus it’s also easy to make your own when you’re not busy and then use it as a snack throughout the day.
- Salad. I know you may think salad is pretty boring but you can add a lot of stuff on a salad. Chicken? Yes. Quinoa and fruit? Oh yeah. Nuts? Chocolate? Yes and yes! Eat whatever you want and don’t feel guilty about it because there is some lettuce in there…right? 🙂 Plus you can make a salad beforehand, store it in your fridge and just add dressing when you’re ready to eat.
- Granola bars. I need something I can just throw in my diaper bag so when I’m out shopping I can just tear it open and eat it. I like to have these on hand and they’re great for a little pick-me-up.
- Water. It’s not really a “snack food” but it’s very important to stay hydrated. If you don’t like plain water try adding some fruit in there. I love lemon water or some strawberry water.
There’s a lot of other snack foods out there but I hope this helps! If you have some extra energy, you could always prepare some great protein bites that I see everywhere on Pinterest, like these, or maybe some chicken that you can cut up and then use for sandwiches throughout the week. Having some food prepared definitely helps you from binging on that pint of ice cream! But you can also eat that too. Remember, no judging. 🙂
Is there anything that I missed? Anything you love to snack on throughout the day? Feel free to comment below – I’d love to hear your ideas!