It’s hard to believe that summer is here already! Bring on those warm nights outside, dips in the pool, watermelon treats, gingham prints and laying barefoot in the grass. Right?! Summer is awesome! However, as a freckled fair-skinned individual I have to prepare myself for everything that comes along with the fun of summer as well, like the harsh summer rays, dryness of chlorine, constant SPF, mosquito bites, etc. So as I prepare myself for the summer months ahead, I thought I’d share some of things I’m doing to get my skin summer ready!
- I’m changing up my makeup routine! A few weeks ago I posted on my Instagram Stories that I’ve been trying out a new powdered foundation by Alima Pure. I was using a liquid foundation before but decided to switch it up for summer with something lighter and that allowed my skin to “breathe.” I’m loving the result! Powder foundation provides buildable coverage so you can add as much as you want but it doesn’t sink into your pores like the liquid one does. When I prefer a more liquid version, I just mix it with my face oil! The one by Alima Pure also has natural skin protection for some additional benefit.
- I’m exfoliating 2-3 times a week. During the winter it’s important to exfoliate off all the dead skin that can accumulate, but it’s important during summer as well since you’re sweating and collecting a lot of dirt in those pores. Dry brushing is a really effective option for exfoliating your body that also stimulates skin for better digestion. Exfoliation also provides a better canvas for moisturizers/serums, making them more effective and giving you more bang for your buck.
- I’m applying SPF daily. You didn’t think I wouldn’t mention sunscreen, right?? I wear a facial moisturizer daily that has SPF 20 in it, which is worn under my powdered foundation with additional protection. I apply this to my neck as well. However, I don’t always apply sunscreen to the rest of my body because I do believe in getting some natural vitamin D, especially if I’m wearing something that covers most of my body (jeans & a t-shirt) and I’m only going out sparingly. It’s different if it’s a hot, sunny day and I’ll be outside during most of it. Then I’ll apply a natural sunscreen all over.
- I’m using a toner. I read a while ago that toners weren’t necessary and for a while I just skipped it and opted for some simple rose water instead. Now I’m back on the toner train since these days toner is more than just toner. The ones out there can basically be a serum with all the added benefits they have in there. Some are even considered “beauty mists” because of this. Once I started adding back in toner, my skin has been smoother, cleaner and more hydrated. It balances your skin while removing the extra bits you don’t see (like leftover SPF). My current favorite is Puristry Flower Toner Water found here.
- I’m tanning – without the sun. Thankfully there are a lot of great alternatives to getting that summer “glow” that don’t involve damaging your skin. Reading about the harmful effects the sun does makes me shudder at all those times I laid outside tanning without any protection. This year I’ll be getting my glow on with a nice sunless tanner instead! They’re quick, relatively easy and pretty instantly get you summer ready. Want a natural sunless tanner? Try this one by Chocolate Sun.
- Lastly, I’m applying bug spray. As someone who was a terrified pregnant woman during the Zika craziness last summer, I’ve learned a lot about bug spray. It not only protects against mosquitos but all the awful viruses transmitted through ticks and other bugs as well. Both my baby boy and I have been using this one, which is natural version without DEET. Just know that essential oils are not as effective as DEET so you’d have to apply them more often.
Well guys that’s all my summer tips! I hope this helps you feel a little more prepared for the hot days ahead. If you’re interested in a list for babies let me know! I’m having fun getting my little guy ready for the summer as well. He loves being outside so we’re going to have a lot of fun together!
Also, If you’re not already subscribed to my newsletter, please consider doing so here. Right now the newsletter goes out when I share a new post, but in the coming months I’ll be revamping the newsletter a bit to include exclusive content you won’t be able to see on the blog. It would mean so much if you subscribed!